Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Hairy Situation


I had a hair appointment this morning. I was on time.

I, along with 3 others, sat in the reception area waiting for our stylists to show up. I was happy that I had picked up a muffin and juice on my way in. Starving, I had skipped breakfast to make sure that I got to my appointment on time.

The receptionist finally said, "Lottie, Suzie (not her real name) said she's on her way." This was about 9:10.

On her way? My appointment was at 9 a.m. and she's calling at 9:10 saying she's on her way?

I was a little dismayed. First of all I park at a meter and made a special stop at the bank to get quarters - enough to last for my appointment. But I realized that I would have to keep feeding the meter before my appointment was up.

After checking to see how much time I had left on the meter, I went back inside to find the shampoo lady getting her hair washed.

Huh?

Isn't she suppose to make sure that customers get their hair washed before she decides to take care of her own locs?

This appointment was not starting off well.

Anyway, the shampoo lady finally decided to wash my hair and I'm disappointed. The water is too hot and she's rough - maybe she's in a hurry ?

I don't know. But I tell her the water's too hot and kindly ask her if she could be a little more gentle.

A little aside: One of the things that I really enjoy is getting my hair washed. I love the scents of the different shampoos and conditioners. But most of all I enjoy the nice head massages that I usually get.

My stylist finally shows up. It's 9:35.

She's smiling, unapologetic about her tardiness. She does my hair, I give her a tip (but not the usual amount) and I'm off. But I'm really thinking about going to another hair salon.

See, this isn't the first time I've experienced this type of behavior at this salon. There have been many times I've shown up for my appointment and my stylist isn't there yet. Most of the time she apologizes for her tardiness. The excuse use to be traffic.

Well, she had a baby in May and came back in July. I do understand that she has to work out all the kinks of being a new mother.

But...

I've been going to this specific salon for about 3 or 4 years now, just a little bit before I decided to loc my hair. I chose this salon because it is close to my job - less than 5 minutes. I purposely book my appointments during the middle of the week - a Tuesday or Wednesday - to make sure I'm not waiting for hours on a Friday or Saturday. I also always make sure that I'm my stylist's first appointment so that I can get in and out. But most of all I like the great hair care they provide - like the herbal treatments - and healthy products they use.

I've tried another salon before and it isn't the same. My hair doesn't feel or look the same and doesn't last as long. (Must be the products.)

So I ask, am I going a little overboard with thinking about finding another salon?
Do you think I should be a little more understanding since my stylist recently had a baby - trying to juggle her new role as a mother with her job?
Should I dismiss the tardiness, just over look it?(What about respect for my time?)
Should I require more professionalism out of a salon (why is the shampoo lady getting her own hair done before the customers?)?
Should I just suck it up because this is how hair salons operate?

Shouldn't good customer service be just as important as good hair care?
What would you do?

Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

Do you think I should be a little more understanding since my stylist recently had a baby - trying to juggle her new role as a mother with her job? NO

Should I dismiss the tardiness, just over look it?(What about respect for my time?) NO

Should I require more professionalism out of a salon (why is the shampoo lady getting her own hair done before the customers?)? YES

Should I just suck it up because this is how hair salons operate?NO

Shouldn't good customer service be just as important as good hair care? YES

What would you do? I would find another stylist. I get my hair done every week if I'm not sick or traveling and when I walk in, my stylist is ready for me. I'm not in there all day, there's not a long line of folks waiting and standing around, she respects my time (AND MONEY) and I respect hers.

TNDRHRT said...

Customer service is #1 in my book. I would have changed salons immediately