Monday, February 1, 2010

I Can't Compete

How do you compete with the memory of a long lost love?
How do you compete with a woman you've never seen, but know has the key to his heart?
How do you compete?
There are expectations and qualifications and ...
He's looking for her - again.
But you're not her. You're you.
So how do you compete?
How do you compete with the way she made him feel? laugh? smile?
How do you compete with what was, almost was, wish it was...
He's looking for her - again.
He chooses you.
But you're not her. You're you.
How do you compete?
How do you compete, when you know deep down, he longs for her or something/someone as close to her as possible?
He's searching. He's searching. But he's still single.
He can't find her - again.
How do you compete with vacations and tribulations and ...love?
How do you compete with tears and fears and hurt — that bond?
He's comparing you to her, and her to her, and her to her, and her to her. But no one fits the bill!
In his eyes, she was perfect - for him.
He had a ring.
She hurt him. Bad.
He's still single. Searching — for her again.
She's the model. The standard.
How do you compete?

I can't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why would you want to? if he's still that hung up on her, he shouldn't be trying to get in a new relationship.

jallen said...

Cross him off the list and move on..."Next."

Anonymous said...

You are saying what so many women feel when they meet someone who had a past love or even a previous that he still dabbles with.

Anonymous said...

This posting really got me. I have a long lost first love that recently told someone to tell me "hello," and I have not been able to stop thinking about them. The "wishing...wondering...what ifs..." I really think we fit far better than anyone else I have been with. But life goes on and you can't go back. I think the best place for a lost first love, mine at least, is just a sweet old memory, nothing more. I don't think I compare other men to him, at least from now on, I will make a conscious decision not to.