Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fast, Pray, GIVE


Yesterday was the beginning of the Lent season, usually 40 days of prayer, fasting and confession. In a USAToday.com column, editor Bill McGarvey said Lent is a time to "fast, pray and give."

"Lent is not just what you don't do," McGarvey emphasized in the piece found here . "It's about what you do."

McGarvey challenged readers to:
"Fast from rushing through your day without noticing the beauty around you.
Pray that God might show you something beautiful that you hadn't noticed before.
Give some time to enjoy a piece of art or a nature scene."

So, I have a 40-day challenge for you: Fast, Pray, GIVE

Fast - I don't mean to stop eating ! But FAST from whatever
vice you may have - for some it may be food (bread, pasta,
for me it's desserts); for some it may be alcohol or
drugs. There are some who are addicted to shopping.
Some are addicted to Reality TV. Then again, some are
hooked on texting or social networking sites, like Facebook or Twitter.
Whatever your vice, do you think you can go without it for 40 days?

Pray - Be thankful for all your blessings. We are truly blessed.
Pray for what you want - peace in your home or in the world; a better relationship with your family; a new job; pray to become a better person through self-improvement.
My grandmother always says, "prayer changes things." So, I challenge
you to pray for the next 40 days.

GIVE - You don't have to go out and do community service to GIVE.
You don't have to send a check to your favorite charity to GIVE.
GIVING comes in many forms. You can GIVE someone a smile today or a loving hug. (Hugs are the best medicine). You can GIVE someone an encouraging word. You can GIVE someone a little bit of your time. You can GIVE someone advice. So for the next 40 days, I challenge you to think about how you can GIVE and do it.

Now of course, this is just a challenge.

I'm going to try and give up desserts for the next 40 days. That's going to be very hard because I think my body is addicted to sweets. I'm just happy that I don't have any birthdays coming up soon.

What would be the hardest thing for you to give up for 40 days? What's your vice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've already given up sex for more than 53 days. that's my lent.