Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bad Romance

I'm in class right now talking about cloud computing (snooozzzzzzz), but I'm thinking about a bad romance. I'm thinking about that one relationship where I just wasn't myself, where I just threw all common sense out the window and did a lot of stupid things that weren't good for me or my self-esteem.

Now, I consider myself a pretty grounded person; someone who usually knows right from wrong; someone who is pretty level-headed and strong-minded. But at one time, believe it or not, I found myself in a bad romance; in a relationship where I wasn't honored or respected or treated like the queen I am. I accepted a lot of bad behavior. Ignored it. I knew that this person was not a good person. He wasn't honest or dependable. He wasn't thoughtful. In fact he was quite selfish. He was sorry. JUST SORRY. I knew I deserved better. But I stayed anyway. I don't know why. I just did.

One day, I finally woke up. No more. I just decided one day I wasn't putting up with it anymore.

I wasted a lot of time in that bad romance; a lot of valuable time that could have been spent with someone more deserving. But I do believe you learn from every romance, even bad ones.

What about you? Have you ever been in a bad romance?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, 15 years of a bad romance. and, like you, there came a day when i said, "no more."

Anonymous said...

Haven't we all. Keep ya head up. And next time never accept less than you deserve.

Anonymous said...

girl I thought this was gonna be about Lady Gaga's song! or is it??? LOL....I love her!

SingLikeSassy said...

Yes, I had that relationship, too, and stayed in it way too long. I think it's more about where you are at the time. I was definitely at a low point emotionally before I met him so he was able to come along and suck me in. Then I stayed because it was too much work to leave. I am grateful that my fellowship brought me to D.C. and away from him. It took me a long time to get right after that though.