Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why the Attitude Dude?

I made a quick stop at Target after my Jazzercise class this evening. I was loading my items on the conveyor belt when the cashier, a handsome Black man, yelled Jazzercise!, referencing my t-shirt.

"I see you gettin' it in," he said.

I smiled. "Yep, I gotta get it in."

"You married?"  he asked.

"No," I said, "not today."

"Why not?"

I shrugged, "I just haven't met anyone."

"Oh, you must want to be free," he said, bagging my items.

I looked at him confused. What was he talking about?
I swiped my credit card to pay.

"Yeah, I know how yall are," he said. "Women today say they want to be independent but then they don't want to spend their own money."

"What?" I said, signing the credit card equipment pad.

I was taken aback.

"Yeah. I listen to Steve Harvey. Come back and see me and I'll tell you a little more about that."

I gathered my bags and left the store.

Now was all that called for?
What solicited such a response?
Is that the way Black men view Black women nowadays?
I couldn't tell if he was angry, frustrated, bitter, disappointed or just mouthing off.

What do yall think of what he said?
Holla at me...


2 comments:

kendra said...

don't want to spend their own money? um, hello? were you not paying for your items with YOUR OWN MONEY?

Marcella said...

I think he was a douche!!