Monday, October 17, 2011

Her Three Sons

A little before my Jazzercise class on Saturday, one of the students raved about her son's recent wedding. She has three sons. Her middle son, age 25, is the one who got hitched.

She was excited. But she lamented about her eldest, who had been dating his girlfriend for 10 years. She wants him to settle down also.

"I told him she was a good girl and that he needed to go ahead and marry her," she told me.

"How old is he?" I asked her.

"33," she replied. "He told me that they just got approved for a $250,000 loan for a house."

I stopped what I was doing. What?

"Yeah. I told him if they were gonna buy a house they may as well get married," she continued.

What did he say? I asked.

"Well, he just sort of shrugged," she said. "My youngest son is 20. He said he wasn't gonna get married. He said he wants to take care of me and my husband."

I laughed.

But I had to wonder what's going on with that oldest son. He's 33. He's been dating a young lady for 10 years and now they've been approved for a certain amount to buy a home. So, why not marriage?

I know couples who lived together before they got married. But I don't know if I know of anyone who's purchased a home with someone they were not married to.

Anyway, son No.1 may surprise his mom and go to the justice of the peace right before closing on his new house (lol).

What do yall think of this situation?

Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

SingLikeSassy said...

I'm not going into that kinda debt with someone who can't or won't marry me. That's crazytoons right there.

But, hey, maybe the couple doesn't want to be married. I know a lot of long-term committed couples who aren't married.