Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Deal-Breakers


I'm suppose to be working right now, but I had to catch up on last night's premiere episode of The Millionaire Matchmaker. And since I don't have cable I have to watch it on the computer.

I know it's an entertainment show, but I always learn something from matchmaker Patti Stanger. For example, she suggests that couples be monogamous for at least a minimum of three months before becoming intimate. Good advice I think.

She's in New York this season and last night asked one of her clients to list his 5 deal-breakers, non-negotiables, if you will. What EXACTLY are you looking for in a mate she asked him.

When you meet someone, Patti suggested to him, interview them, qualify them and if they don't meet your requirements, walk the other away. Don't waste your time. (I'm paraphrasing of course.) Check out the video here or look at it below (it's only 1:51).


Now, I've done this and have gotten beaten up about it. But several things have happened over the past year or so since I've been dating. First, I've met guys who, on the surface, was everything I wanted; but for whatever reason I didn't really click with them. Then, in an effort to be open and broaden my horizons, I've gone out with guys who were totally opposite of what I wanted which led to some hilarious, frightful and, may I say, eventful times.

Interestingly, the last guy I dated, I really liked - and he didn't meet any of my requirements - lol. He hadn't finished college, he was divorced and had a child. But I really enjoyed being with him. Go figure.

Anyway, Patti's client listed his 5 deal-breakers. He desired: someone who definitely wanted children; someone who had friends; someone who was spontaneous; someone who came from a good family and someone who was HOT (Patti made him choose something else so he said someone who was Honest).

These are all good things. Honesty is definitely on the top of my list of non-negotiables.

What are your 5 dealbreakers - things that are non-negotiable?
What EXACTLY are you looking for in a mate?
Did you check out the video? What do you think of Patti's suggestions? Do you agree with her?

No comments: