Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Simple Act of Kindness?

So, last week I noted on my Facebook page how my 1997 Honda Accord needed about $1500 in repairs. A guy I used to date responded that he had a mechanic that could help me out. The guy was good with reasonable prices, he said.

I told him that I had no plans to get my car fixed anytime soon, especially since I was in school. Also, I noted, the Honda folks had been telling me the same thing for the last five years and my car was still going strong. (except for the fact that my car radio goes out for weeks at a time and then just pops back on)

Anyway, he told me that he admired me for going back to school and offered to get my car fixed.

Huh?

He said he had funds available to get my car fixed for me.

I just laughed and kindly declined his offer.

Now, I went out on one date with this guy about 12 years ago, around the time I first moved to the DC metropolitan area. He was a nice enough guy. But there weren't any sparks. I had not seen or talked to him since that time. We only became reacquainted on Facebook earlier this year.

He is now married with children. (I know he has at least one)

Do you think he was offering to fix my car just out of the kindness of his heart? You think maybe he just wanted to help out an old friend who's in school? Was this just a simple act of kindness or something more? Why would a man (a married man) I hadn't talked to in 12 years offer to have my car fixed?

I'm not sure how to read this. I don't want to jump to conclusions and immediately think ill of someone because he is a nice person.

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

I don't know what his intentions were, but you were right to say no because he is married and that could have turned into some mess.

And let me add that if I *ever* find out my husband gave anybody -- man, woman, child -- $1500 without consulting me, it would be on like Rae Dawn Chong.

Benita2418 said...

I agree, it was a very kind gesture, but you were right in declining the offer. You never really know where married men are coming from, and you just have to put yourself in their wives shoes, "would I be offended or take issue with this if I were his wife." If the answer is "yes," then you know what to do.

Anonymous said...

he might BE a nice guy, but i'm sure his wife would be pissed about him forking over $1500 to another woman.

Anonymous said...

Don't read into it. I would test the waters and see if he actually pays. Some people are all talk and no action. He may be doing really well and just want to help a sista out, pay it forward.