Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Home for the Holidays

I will not be going home for the holidays.

I had made a pledge last year that I would find a cheap trip to the Caribbean for Christmas instead of traveling to visit family in Mississippi.

But I didn't find a cheap trip, so I'll be here.

A friend called me this evening to "check on me." There was sadness in her voice. Man, the last thing I want is someone feeling sorry for me.

I'm fine, I assured her.

And right now, I am okay. I mean my dad did call earlier today and reminded me that this would be the first Christmas I won't be home (can anybody say guilt trip). But I was just home last month and I don't think my family really understands the financial cost of returning to Mississippi in less than a month, renting a car for a week and buying gifts for everyone. For someone who hasn't gotten a raise in 8 years, well, I just couldn't swing it this time.

But of course, there is more to it than just the financial cost of going home. Check out my blog post from last year. Indeed, it was Hugh Grant's character in the movie, "About a Boy" who lamented that how you spend your holidays reflects your status in life.

Anyway, I promised my family I'll be home in the spring - when airline tickets would be cheaper and I'll be able to spend more quality time with them without the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

I'll call them on Christmas Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't feel sorry for you. Get some rest and enjoy some quiet time.