Monday, September 13, 2010

A Search for A Queen

First let's get this straight: There will never be another Aretha Franklin. Period. She has a voice that comes along only once in a generation - one that moves the soul and speaks to the heart of men.



Now that's that out of the way, it seems Ms. Franklin wants Academy-Award winner Halle Berry to play her in a movie based on the singer's life.I can understand why she would want to be portrayed by America's most celebrated African American actress today.


But "RE RE" has one of the greatest voices of all time and as a result, I would like to see someone known with powerhouse vocals to play her. You know, folks like Kelly Price, gospel singer Tarralyn Ramsey or the super-talented Jennifer Hudson, who sung her way into an Oscar win in her role as a Dreamgirl.


Others have mentioned Jill Scott and Queen Latifah as possible leads to play the Queen of Soul. But what about newcomers like Melanie Fiona or Jazmine Sullivan who seem to have that deep, soulful range that would be required to sing some of the Queen's classics like "Ain't No Way", "I Never Loved a Man," "Dr. Feelgood" or "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman."

These songs are timeless classics and it will take a special person, a unique personality and perhaps an absolute unknown to really embody the character of the Queen.





What do you think?
Who should play Aretha Franklin in a movie about her life?
Is there anyone out there today talented enough to take on the Queen of Soul's songs?

Let me know your thoughts.

PHOTOS:
Photo of Aretha Franklin by Soul Portrait.
Photo of Halle Berry by brava_67.
Photo of Queen Latifah by forcefulally.
Photo of Jennifer Hudson by IHEARTHIPHOP.
Photo of Jill Scott by www.chicagofabulousblog.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

evWow, so many great talents to choose from. Kelly Price doesn't have any acting experience, that I know of. So we will have to flip a coin between Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson. I know either will be honored to play the role. I my far-off dreams, I wondered who will play me in a role if my life were on the big screen. But since I live the ordinary life, any ol' person would do, LOL.