Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Nice Young Man

So, I went to see Michael Eric Dyson interview hip hop advertising giant Steve Stoute about his new book, The Tanning of America at Busboys and Poets this evening.

While waiting for the evening to start, I struck up a conversation with the young man sitting next to me. A native of Albany, N.Y., he had been in D.C. only a few months. He was a recent graduate of Temple University in Philadelphia (a human biology major) and wanted to work for a community health center. He was reading a book on the globalization of the achievement gap when we started talking.

I was impressed. He was 23, smart, ambitious and kind. Perfect for my mentee !

But she wasn't having it. She gave me grief about "interviewing" him for her (but I really wasn't). She didn't even meet him and wanted to dismiss him.

sigh...

1 comment:

SingLikeSassy said...

Let that girl be. You told her and know she has to learn on her own. Plus, she's 23.