Monday, July 4, 2011

Today, I am Working

How's your 4th of July holiday?

I'm at work right now - pounding out a freelance piece. But I'm thinking about the movie, About a Boy. The 2002 film starred Hugh Grant, a single man who learns how to become a caring and responsible adult through his friendship with a curious little boy.

In the film, Grant's character notes that You can tell a person's status in life by how they spend the holidays. It was Christmas and Grant was the single man invited to the home of his married friends.

Today I am working. So, what does that say about me?

LOL.

But seriously I think Grant's character makes a point.

We single people usually gather together and make our own fun - especially on holidays like today. There was a time when you headed to someone's home on the 4th. You would eat some good BBQ, play games and meet other fun singles. You left with a phone number and a few new friends.

But I've learned as you get older, the cookout invitations decrease. People you used to see or hang out with are now, well, "booed up." They have plans with their significant other.

And me? Today I am working. Does that mean I care more about my career than my social life? I don't know. (these freelance gigs are paying the bills)

But I ask: How are you spending this holiday and what does it say about your status in life?

Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lottie -

I'm trying to track down your email address, I have an idea for a story for one of the outlets you freelance for. Your email address is surprisingly hard to track down :) If you don't want to post it here, you can feel free to e-mail me at melissa@serendipitconsulting.com or @melissapr on Twitter. Thanks!