Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Do-Over

In this month's O, The Oprah Magazine, columnist Lisa Kogan asks, "If you could redo just one moment in your life, what would it be?"

Kogan talks about how she regrets ditching her grandmother one evening for a friend's birthday party. The next morning her grandmother went in the hospital and she never came out.

"If I could just get one night back," Kogan writes, "I would have taken off my coat and sat back down, only this time I'd have faced my grandmother instead of the driveway. I never told her how smart and talented and brave and lovely I thought she was. I never found out what she did to make her skin so soft and her matzo balls so firm. I never thanked her for being my go-to grandma in the unconditional goodness department."

I know we're not suppose to live a life of regrets. But there are a lot of things I wish I could "do-over." There are some things I wish I would have said - to family, to friends, lovers. There are some things I wish I would have done - financially, professionally.

I would be in a better place now. Or would I?

I can only guess about what "could have" been. Ultimately, however, I have to live with the decisions that I've made and make the best of them. I can't live with an attitude of "woulda, coulda, shoulda", because when it boils down to it I "didn't," - do what I was suppose to do to become the person I want to be. My lack of courage or self-esteem are mere excuses for the due diligence and hard work, I "shoulda" done.

But hey, what's life without a little learning? Experience is always the best teacher.

What about you?

If you could redo just one moment in your life, what would it be?

3 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

I try not to think about the woulda coulda shouldas because like you said, it's done now, move forward. And, life is good so I don't have much to complain about, you know?

That said, I wish I hadn't been afraid to attend my first college choice. It was one of the top j-schools and I think I wouldn't have had the distractions there that I had at my HBCU. But, all my friends, my cousins and darn near everyone in my senior class were going to my HBCU and I was 16 trying to make a decision that would affect the rest of my life. I chose the familiar over the challenge of meeting new people, having new experiences etc.

Anonymous said...

absolutely nothing. i don't regret a thing.

Anonymous said...

life's too short to worry about what i could've done. or should've done. or would've done if only... the reality is i live by my heart; any decisions i've made in that time and space were the choices my heart said to make. i wouldn't--couldn't, shouldn't--live any other way.