Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hard Times, Hard Choices

If you were laid off today and had a mountain of obligations (mortgage, insurance, food, gas, clothing, etc.), what would you do to survive? Would you, or could you, work as a stripper?

In her memoir, "Never Make the Same Mistake Twice," NeNe Leaks of the Real Housewives of Atlanta reveals that she became a stripper to survive hard economic times.

A recent story on People.com has a few excerpts from Leaks' book on their website.
Leaks says she was about to be homeless when she answered an ad in a newspaper for dancers. A single mother, she needed a way to feed her son. She ultimately got a job at "the most glamorous upscale gentlemen's club in Georgia." Read the article here .

In her book, Leaks writes that, "“My son was in private school, his father wasn’t chipping in for pull-ups or food, I had no job and no money coming in, the rent was past due, and the super told me and my roommate that our condo owner was about to put us out. So I did what I had to do.”

Leaks says that the experience was “the ultimate power trip,” and helped build her self-esteem: “With every piece of clothing I took off, the more I got my life back. I worked this body like a well-oiled machine, and every movement got me closer to my goal of financial independence for me and my child.”

Obviously, NeNe felt she did what she needed to do to take care of her and her child.
I know one thing, she probably made way more than I do as a writer.

Today, she is happily married, lives in a beautiful home in an upscale community in Atlanta and is on a successful television show.
Not too bad for a former stripper (who can't do math). With all my degrees, I don't have that.

What do you think of NeNe's choice?

What about you?
If you were a single mother, out of a job and about to be
homeless, what would you do?
Would you strip?

Let me know your thoughts...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, i'm thinking--seriously--about soliciting the construction workers building more townhomes in my subdivision, so i ain't mad at her. i couldn't strip, though. a) can't dance, and 2) no longer have the body for stripping.

SingLikeSassy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SingLikeSassy said...

No, cause I wouldn't want to shame my family or teach my child that when the going gets rough you get skanky. I would rather beg from friends, go to my pastor etc. than do that. Pride be damned if my baby needs food and shelter.

But I know my family would never let me almost be on the street with a child. We rally around our folks.

TNDRHRT said...

As a single mother, I wouldn't strip. However, as a single gal, I'd go way out somewhere where NO ONE knows me or could possibly know me, and I MIGHT just shake a tail feather!

Lottie said...

Go Gladys !!!