Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happily Single?


All the single ladies (all the single ladies)
All the single ladies (all the single ladies)
All the single ladies (all the single ladies)
All the single ladies - Now put your hands up !

I absolutely love this hit song by megastar Beyonce. It's a great tune that I dance to whenever I hear it. My favorite phrase? "If you like then you should have put a ring on it !" My finger that is.

Over the past decade, a number of books and articles have been published touting the virtues of singlehood. "Happily Single" is the catchphrase for those who are not married but are living life to the fullest.

A few weeks ago, a new book came across my desk:"I Didn't Work This Hard Just To Get Married: Successful Single Black Women Speak Out." The book includes essays by Black women from various professions — actresses, movie producers, corporate executives, attorneys, professors, entrepreneurs, etc.
Here are a few examples of the essays: "I Can Do Bad By Myself"; "Single According to God's Plan"; "Single and Refusing to Settle"; "Alone, Not Lonely"; "Happily Ever After?"

The popular motivational speakers of the day encourage unmarried Black women to get the most out of life as a single person:
volunteer!
mentor!
join an organization!
travel!
enjoy time with your girlfriends !
take up a hobby or a sport!
learn a new skill !
have fun !

Most of the single women I know do all these things - and more. They are beautiful, successful professional women who lead full, active lives.

But guess what? It's not enough.

They are happy, yes. But "happily single"? I think not.

Most of the women I know want a mate. Period. Despite their busy lifestyles (the awards, the achievements, the hobbies and volunteer activities), they want someone to share their lives with on an intimate level. They want to be in a loving, caring and mutually respectful relationship. And what's wrong with that?

Let's face it, being single gets old.

What about you? Are you "happily single"?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

After being single 4 about 18 mnths after being in a six year relationship, I can truly feel what u r saying. B 4 my 6 yr relationship I went 17 mnths without a date - did nuthin 4 my ego. I love the relationship I'm in now. It totally adds value 2 my life. It's hard 2 curl up with ur accomplishments and activities. Remember what Billy D told Diana Ross in Mahogony - he was right on it.

Anonymous said...

hell no! God didn't put us here to go through life alone.

TNDRHRT said...

Am I happily single?? Nah...I want the companionship of a mate to enhance my life. I'm single and I'm happy, but I'm not happily single where it relates to relationships. I love hanging out with my girlfriends, but there comes a time when I want to be in the presence of a cute guy who dotes on me. What's wrong with that??